
I probably am never look like how I want to - that is, belly-less. Simple reason, I unfortunately lack the discipline to follow through a work out regime compounded with the fact that I somehow like to eat when I'm not feeling very good. Doesn't help that I ate at some sub-par buffet on Thursday night for some department cohesion where the main activity was not eating but accumulating bad karma points.
So why the sudden talk about unhealthy diets and lack of exercise? No particular reason really. It's just that I came back from eating Carl's Jr. Portobello Mushroom Burger with Beef Chilli Cheese Fries and a gigantic cup of iced lemon tea and my stomach's kinda protesting and threatening to burst. Yes, I only ate it because I was feeling shitty and upset with the world and throwing a tantrum. I blame it on my students and plain old craziness.
Anyway, as I was gorging on the burger and the fries and the salsa, I kept thinking about why what I was eating is considered junk/fast food. Well, the fast part is easy enough to figure out. It's supposed to be a quick meal so everything comes real quick and likewise, it's finished real quick too. It's junk because it's packed with saturated fat, trans fat, grease, a ton of sodium and MSG and preservatives. Basically it's a recipe for clogged arteries and a nice layer of fat around my waist which refuses to disappear. But on top of that, I think it's junk because it's just a massive flavour spamming session. All you taste is the overpowering gravy and not the flavours of each individual ingredient like the tomatoes or the beef or the mushrooms or the cheese or the potatoes or the chilli.
I can't help but compare it to that meal I ate when I decided to spend money I do not have. It's such a big difference when the flavours are melting into one another while maintaining their own integrity. The salty, smoky parma ham balanced with the mellow taste of white asparagus and sweet freshness of a scallop with just a hint of fat from the foie gras sauce. While it feels good to vent and fill your stomach to bursting point with greasy burgers and fries, nothing is as rewarding as slowly enjoying every bite and tasting everything that went into that morsel of food. You just can't do that with a 15 dollar combo. I think it has something to do with family traditions. Food that is worth it may not be food that comes cheap. It may be exorbitantly priced but it is still worth the money if the quality and taste matches the price.
I always want to splurge on satisfying meals. However, my financial status dictates that I have to settle for a cheap, unworthy alternative. Tragic. I have NO idea how they are linked together, but I really need to work out. Crazy much?
- you are the only exception.