Wednesday, October 27, 2010

memories.

Finally a blog post after almost 3 months. It seems that my writer's block has extended to cover mundane blog posts as well. Hopefully though, writing a post would help to jump start things in this crucial point in time. I shall try to keep this as simple as possible.

Kudos to the genius who invented photography. There's a certain beauty in being able to capture moments in the past to relive them in the future. While I was recovering from a bad cough, I decided to go dig up a huge photo album somewhere in my room.

There were neoprints, passport photos, class photos and random photos from various vacations. I felt a little surprised to see how much I have changed throughout my school days. From a short chubby little boy in secondary 2 to the early years of my acne scarred teenhood and finally, the graduating year of junior college. It's a little unnerving to see how my appearance changed from fat to, well, less fat. More so to look into the mirror and see how different I am now compared to a very short 2 years ago. In the photo, I was struggling to get through the last year of school and taking the all-important 'A' levels. Fast forward 2 years and I'm three months away from getting out of the army. Change has definitely come for me.

I don't wish to live in 2008. However, the prospect of living that life in the bubble that is school is still very tempting. A life where your biggest concern is to study and do well in academics. A life which is shielded from the rigours of society. Being ensconced in a fluffy child-proofed environment is addicting. It's so much more liberating when your worst nightmare is failing a paper and the only politics you know of are in articles and readings. It wasn't the perfect life. But it's a life more perfect than reality.

I can't help but think of what will happen in 2015 when I look back on my life once again. What would I see?

I would see someone who was afraid to cross the threshold from teen to adulthood. I would see someone who held on to some irrational hatred and was never truly happy for 2 whole years. I would see someone who longs for the "good old days".

The question is, would I look back and regret to see how that destroyed me?

I will remember that in 2010, I made sure the answer is No.

- on the day that you were born, the angels came together and decided to create a dream come true.

blogged @ Wednesday, October 27, 2010